Thursday, July 5, 2012

Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction by Lisa Tuttle - REVIEW



This was the first writing guide I had ever read (which sounds terrible for me, being a writer and all). There were SO many pointers that I found helpful - such as the stressing of writing every day, getting your work published, the need of an agent, the different types of fantasy and science fiction, writing dialogue, etc. etc. etc.

A lot of the book was showing her personal experiences as a writer, which I found helpful because I like to be shown an example rather than be just told how to do it. I learn better that way. :)

She interviewed several writers and editors, which helped me see a bit more of what my experience might be like with an editor.

Overall, I think this book is very good for anyone, who is beginner in the fantasy and/or science fiction writing field.

One point that I would like to make is that the the author's example of an omniscient author wasn't exactly the most appropriate - on pp. 83 and 85, I think (I don't have the book anymore, I had to return it).

I think this book is best for a teen and adult audience.

Alyianna's rating: 8 out 10


Link to my review on Amazon - how about going over there and rating it as helpful? :) http://www.amazon.com/review/R3IP2Q0771IBXN/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0713672447&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

2 comments:

Arda said...

Sounds like an interesting book. Nice to know a bit about it from you. :)

Alyianna said...

Thanks. :) I'm really glad that I'm having more time to do these reviews again! :)