Friday, October 26, 2012

Red - Newest Taylor Swift CD!

Hello all! I'm sorry that it's been so long since I did a review on here; it's just that I've been so busy with school. I will try to do at least something on here at least once a week. :)

So...on to the review. As a side note, I am only reviewing the regular CD. Any of the deluxe Target songs (including my favourite song from the entire CD) will be in another post.



The new sound of this Taylor CD was very unexpected. Would you expect an artist to be country with a pop sound in one album and then mostly pop in the next album? Not really! As The Orange County Register states, "Her latest feels more like Katy Perry emptying out her diary with equal candor but diminished sass, the better to make her travails in heartache believable. " And not only has Taylor changed her music style, she's changed her hair and dressing style.


I guess there's going to be no more more dresses and boots in concerts for us Swifties.

Here are some of my thoughts on each track, since I like to do do my reviews that way. ;)

1. State of Grace - This song has a U2-ish sound. I like the song, though not as much as some of the other songs. (In fact, I like the acoustic version on the deluxe CD better.)
2. Red - This is one of my favourites from this album. The only thing I don't like is the auto-tuned (or echoing from the guitar, as some fans insist) "Re-e-e-ed"s.
3. Treacherous - Out of the three songs covered so far, this song has the most country feel to it. This is one of these types of songs that I think is okay until I've listened to it several times, and then I like it (sort of like most of the songs on the Fearless album, not including the songs that have music videos when I first listened to it).
4. I Knew You Were Trouble - This song would definitely be near the bottom (if not at the bottom) if I put the songs on this CD in the order of how I liked them. I don't like the sound of this song (especially the chorus, which has a sound that I believe is called dubsteb). It also has repetition like Red. On the other hand, this is my eight-year-old sister's favourite song on the CD (and she hates most of my favourites). :-/ So I guess it all depends on the type of music you like.
5. All Too Well - This is another kind of song like Treacherous, but I like this song better. Actually, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. The rhythm also sounds very familiar. My mom says that she can recognize it from one of Taylor's old songs, but I'm not too good at that type of thing. ;) This song also reminds me of Donna Lewis' song "I Will Love You Always Forever" for some reason.
6. 22 - Another of the weak songs of the Red album according to me, but it is also some fans' favourite because this song is so fun.
7. I Almost Do - Another song like Treacherous. I find this song a little too mellow for me.
8. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - This song was the first single off this album, and it is another weak song that is too pop-y and loud for me. But, again, I have to admit the song is fun and makes one want to party instead of cry over a break-up.
9. Stay Stay Stay - I really love this song. It is so fun and cute and happy. :) And the music makes me think of Christmas. :D How much better can you get? :P
10. The Last Time (ft. Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol): I was a little surprised with this song because it appears to me as if Gary sings more in this song than Taylor does; but, overall, the song is good.
11. Holy Ground - I don't like this song. I find it too loud...and I just don't like it.
12. Sad Beautiful Tragic - I find this song a little too mellow, like "I Almost Do", but it it is still good. One of my classmates says that this is her favourite song from this album.
13. The Lucky One - I don't care for this song too much, either. :P
14. Everything Has Changed (ft. Ed Sheeran) - Now THIS song is another matter. This song is one of the shining gems of this album (and, no, it's not because of Ed Sheeran). This song is of the quality of Taylor's past songs...and may I say that Ed's voice is sheer perfection? :P I just wish Ed had more than two lines of solo singing...
15. Starlight - I don't care too much for this song, but I'm starting to like it better now.
16. Begin Again - This song was the second single, and is another of the best songs on this album. It is is definitely of the Taylor quality that every song on this album should have lived up to.

So, just a little review of how I think these songs stand (in my opinon)...
The best songs on this album (Five Stars for Taylor Quality): All too Well, I Almost Do, Stay Stay Stay, Sad Beautiful Tragic, Everything Has Changed, Begin Again
Next best songs (almost lived up to Taylor Quality, in my opinion): State of Grace, Treacherous, The Last Time, Starlight, Red, The Lucky One
Worst songs: I Knew You Were Trouble, 22, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Holy Ground

So, all in all, I don't think this album is that bad. I definitely can't give it a 10 out of 10, so I'm going to give it a...

Alyianna's rating: 8 out of 10

But I'm still going to have this album on replay. ;) Next up will be a post on the Red deluxe songs (including my favourite song from this album, as I said earlier) and perhaps I'll do a post on who these songs are about, just for fun. ;)


Some other reviews for you to check out:
Red Review @ The Spectrum - Negative review
Red Review @ The Vancouver Sun - Another negative review. And no, I wasn't looking for negative reviews. Those were the first two reviews that came up in Taylor Swift news.
Red Review @ Contact Music - Another negative review! Wow, the critics really don't like this album. :P Yes, I think it's her weakest album, too, but you don't need to be THAT negative.
Red Review @ Idolator - "Great" name...ummm...so...here's a positive review. I see at least one thing in the review that was a little "iffy", so I would only recommend this article for those 15+ (age).
Red Review @ The Telegraph - Rating of 3 stars.

No comments: