Saturday, December 15, 2012

I Knew You Were Trouble Music Video Review

I KNEW YOU WERE TROUBLE




"I think...I think when it's all over, it just comes back in flashes, you know. It's like a kaleidoscope of memories. But it all just comes back...but he never does. I think part of me knew the second I saw him that this would happen. It's not really anything he said...or anything he did...it was the feeling that came along with it. And...the crazy thing is I don't know if I'm ever going to feel that way again....but I don't know if I should. I knew his world moved too fast and burned too bright...but I just thought...how can the devil be pulling you towards someone who looks so much like an angel when he smiles at you? Maybe he knew that when he saw me. I guess I just lost my balance. I think that the worst part of it all wasn't losing him...it was losing me." - Taylor Swift, "I Knew You Were Trouble"


Taylor wakes up in an abandoned party site. As she views the wreckage, she remembers the party the night before, when she discovered the terrible truth about her boyfriend. Creepy-ish music plays, creating that eerie atmosphere. That and the dye in Taylor's hair really makes me remember about Taylor's cameo in CSI when she was stabbed by scissors (okay, maybe that wasn't needed there...). Then Taylor begins to speak about here memories of him as all the memories come spilling back. The first two minutes of this music video are AMAZING. All that backstory - and suddenly, BAM! this song that I hadn't cared for because of the dubstep has meaning.

But then we get all that extra stuff - the stuff this music video could have done well without. The stuff that made this music video inappropriate. Flashbacks of him topless. Flashbacks of passionate kissing. Flashbacks of Taylor and him in bed.

So, yeah, this music video would be one of the best I had ever seen, with all the crazy, terrible elements to make this music video so emotional and passionate...and awesome - if it hadn't been for those parts.
I remember how Taylor always says that she keeps her music appropriate so that parents can trust her, that her music will always be appropriate for her children to listen to. So I don't think the worst part was the inappropriate parts...the worst part was that now my favourite artist of all time has lost my trust.

Should I have known that this music video would only be trouble?

No comments: