Monday, December 10, 2012

Take Me Home Album Review (One Direction)



The first song on One Direction's new album starts with a small guitar riff, already showing that this album's music is not going to be same as their last one. Yes, the music is still pop, but I would call this style of music more of a pop/rock crossover. I, for one, definitely like this new One Direction better than the one we saw on the last album, and this is not only for the overall sound. As one my fellow directioners said, "This album is actually One Direction, not Liam, Harry, and Zayn ft. Niall and Louis like the last one." And "the boys" even wrote some of the songs on the album!

However (and this is a big however), the good stuff ends once we start digging into the lyrics. Don't get me wrong, I love One Direction, but I need to be critical here. So let the sarcastic humour begin!


The first track, "Live While We're Young", a song about heddonistic abandonment, is all fine and good, until we come to the ending of the chorus: "Tonight let's get some, and live while we're young." Some what? Perhaps I'm just being overly critical, but other friends of mine think the same thing. In fact, one friend from my school changes the line to "Tonight let's have fun". It may not be very creative, but at least it's clean.

Then we come to the next track, "Kiss You". I'd have been put off by the name if I hadn't first listened to this track without knowing the name, fell in love with it, and thought the name was "Take Me Home". The chorus can be considered innocent enough as long as you don't go looking for meaning: "If you don't wanna take this slow, and you just wanna take me home." Well, who WOULDN'T want to take them home? And no, I didn't mean it THAT way.

Next song - "Little Things". This song was written by Ed Sheeran, and the music certainly shows it. The theme of the song is the same as the boy band's hit single "What Makes You Beautiful"...except for the fact, that it again, goes deeper. The song would be perfectly fine, but one line strikes me as being unecessary and creepy in the first part of the song. "I know you've never loved the crinkles by your eyes when you smile/You've never loved your stomach or your thighs,/The dimples in your back at the bottom of your spine/But I'll love them endlessly" Uh...I'll let that pass without further comment.

Fourth song, "C'mon C'mon". The title could definitely be more creative. Zayn starts the song with: "The one that I came with, she had to go/But you look amazing, standing alone". I like this song, upbeat like a teen party, but...it may just be me, but it seems to me as if the boy, the "main character", of this song, is cheating on his girlfriend. I am very tempted to answer, "Don't look at me, you've got a girl at home and everybody knows that" (Taylor Swift from her new album).

#5: "Last First Kiss". This song is beautiful and romantic...as long as you look at it in the way I do.

"I wanna be last yeah
Baby let me be your, let me be your last first kiss
I wanna be first yeah
Wanna be the first to take it all the way like this
And if you only knew I wanna be last yeah
Baby let me be your last, your last first kiss"

Well, all I can say is that nobody is going to "take it all the way" unless they're married to me FIRST. If that's what you meant, very good. If not...then "my daddy's going to straighten you out like a piece of wire" (The Band Perry).

The sixth track ("Heart Attack") is clean, but it could use some originality. It feels like a copy of a few of the songs from their last album, but that could be because none of the boys wrote the song: "Baby now that you’re gone/I can’t stand dumb love songs". Fan girls will giggle over the cute "OW"s, I expect. Or they could give you a heart attack.

"Rock Me" is...a rock song (wow, I would have never guessed). The song is clean, but it is begging for originality even more than the last song did. The title is repeated over again...and again...and again. "Oh my my" thank you for blessing us with your creativity, Lukasz Gottwald, Henry Walter, Peter Svensson, Allan Grigg, and Sam Hollander.

I've only heard "Change My Mind" once or twice because I seemed to have missed it (on the track list on Wikipedia) when I was listening to the songs on YouTube. But it doesn't really matter, as the song is about a boy who is at a girl's house for a party, and after everyone leaves he thinks that if she wants him to "stay for the night", he will.

"I Would" like this song...no, I actually do. But it does seem to be a repition of Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me", except without the amazing lyrics that Taylor always writes. However, the song is fun. It shows the boys back in high school days, painting this image with "He drives to school every morning while I walk alone in the rain" and "With a sign on my back saying 'kick me'". The boys don't seem to be very popular, do they? But, of course, they're in L.O.V.E. and that's all that matters, I guess.

Song #10 is my absolute favourite on this album, so I won't be able to pick at it too much. This song was, again, written by the amazing Ed Sheeran, and paints the picture of a young couple struggling in their relationship. The boy is willing to give his girlfriend everything he has, and to start it all "Over Again". In other words, the song is beautiful. But one line sticks out of the blue at me, first because it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the lines with it, second because it is...well, awkward. Judge it for yourself: "Body's intertwined with her lips."

"Back For You", the eleventh track on this album, is obviously geared towards One Direction's girlfriends: "I’m watching you from the stage yeah/Your smile is on every face now". But the song also hints at something with the next two lines: "But every time you wake up you’re hearing me say/Goodbye". So, he's there when you wake up, aye? No, I don't want to know anything more.

We're getting close to the end! Number twelve, "They Don't Know About Us" is a sweet song. It makes me think a little about Romeo and Juliet. "People say we shouldn’t be together/We're too young to know about forever". Oh, and it's clean.

"Summer Love", the last song is okay, I guess. It isn't my favourite, either for music or lyrics. And by the way, the song is about a boy and girl who were together all summer, but now she has to go and she's PACKING HER BAGS. Of course, they didn't say she was packing her bags at HIS house, but I would expect so.

Clean songs (5 out of 13)
#4. C'mon C'mon
#6 Heart Attack
#7 Rock Me
#9 I Would
#12 They Don't Know About Us

My Favourite Songs
#2 Kiss You (It's catchy, okay? And notice how I said that the song is harmless if you don't look for meaning...which I don't, at least with this song)
#5 Last First Kiss
#9 I Would (Okay, I admit it...the L.O.V.E. line is catchy.)
#10 Over Again
#12 They Don't Know About Us


I'm not going to give this one a rating because I really don't know how to rate it. As I've said many a time, it's more how you decide to look at lyrics because they can have a double meaning. Or, like my mom, you don't even hear the lyrics. ;)

4 comments:

Helen said...

I listened to the album and immediately thinned out the ones that I didn't like or weren't clean. I wish they would keep to the clean side... I LOVED your review! :D

Alyianna said...

Awww thank you Helen! I was working on it all morning. :)

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I may do the same, as well, though, honestly, when I usually listen to their music, it's in the background while doing school and I don't even hear the lyrics.

Helen said...

I've tried to listen to them during school, but I usually end up singing along with the song...lol
My sister thinks I am crazy because I have an obsession with One Direction, but I think they are really cool...especially Niall! :D

Alyianna said...

HAHA yeah, well I put the music down really low, and then I get so absorbed in my school that I hardly even notice the music :P

Yeah, definitely! Niall is my favourite, too. He's so adorable and funny. ;) AND he's Catholic. :)