Thursday, December 27, 2012

W Pustyni i w Puszczy (In Desert & Wilderness) Movie Review

Cześć! (Hello in Polish)

As some of you may have guessed (or not), I am - in fact - Polish! Well, one-half Polish, at least. I do not know much of the language, but...sorry, I am getting really off track!




In Desert and Wilderness is one of my all-time movies. Maybe it's because I watched it when I was a child and it brings back good memories. Maybe it's because this movie is so great. Or perhaps it's a mix of the two.

The story: Staś Tarkowski and Nel Rawlison, who are around fourteen and eight, respectively (or, at least in the book...I would have placed Staś at sixteen in the movie) are friends, growing up with their families in Port Said, Egypt. Their fathers are British engineers. At the beginning of the movie, we see an anti-British rebellion taking place by Muslims. The chief bad guy (I don't know his name so give me some leave, okay?!) is mad because the British took his wife and children, and have told his servants that if the Muslims do not let go the British they have taken prisoner, the chief guy will not get his wife and children back. Of course, the Muslims don't want to let go of their prisoners. So, instead, they decide to kidnap two children in hopes that the British will let go of their prisoners.

Staś and Nel are taken by the Muslims, and the plan is to kill them soon. However, the two friends manage to escape their captors, along with two African slaves, Kali and Mea. However, now they are thousands of miles from home, and they don't even know where they are. And just to add to their problems, Nel is very sick with malaria.

This movie is both beautiful and captivating. It is based on the novel by Henryk Sienkiewicz (which I will probably review once I get around to reading it again). As you've probably guessed from the title of the movie, the movie is Polish. But hold your horses! Remember that I just said that I myself don't know much Polish. So, yes, there is a way you can listen to the movie in English. In fact, the movie claims that there is the original version, Polish (dubbing), English (dubbing), and subtitles in English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Russian.

The movie was released in 2001, and runs for 111 minutes (which almost makes me wonder if the director cut just enough material just so he would get that perfect number :P). It was directed by Gavin Hood, who is a South African filmmaker (yes, I checked that up), and is working on the movie Ender's Game at the moment. Staś is played by Adam Fidusiewicz, Nel by Karolina Sawka.

The only problem I have with this movie is because I watch the English dubbing, the voice and the picture don't always match up. However, there was only a couple of times that I noticed this. For the most part, I either was too caught up in the movie to notice, or there were mistakes.

And since I don't really have much more to say...

Alyianna's rating: 10 out 10


And now for some lovely pictures (and no, they're not in chronological order):


Staś carrying Nel when she gets her first bout of malaria. The guy in the black turban works for the chief "bad guy" I was speaking about. Though, in actuality, that chief guy is not actually the chief, but I'm just confusing myself and you so I'll be quiet.


Staś and Nel on a train




From left to right: Staś, Nel, Kali, Mea




Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Nel makes a pet out of an elephant. :P





You can buy the movie at Amazon

No comments: