Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Movie Review

I am very happy to be writing this review. Why? Well, it means that I've finally been able to watch the first Hobbit movie. It also means that I don't have to feel guilty for reading spoilers. And it means I can start fangirling over some aspect of Middle Earth again. *cough cough*

Before I start, I thought I would just let you know that I have written another Hobbit review/analysis. It's on my blog called Password to Middle Earth, it's full of spoilers, and the link to it will be at the bottom of this post. On the other hand, this post will be as spoiler-free as I can make it; so if you haven't seen the movie yet, you can read away without ruining anything for yourself.

Ready to go? Then let's start!


Film director: Peter Jackson
Running Time: 169 minutes

The first question some of you may have (or at least, I would have) is - is the movie true to the books? I knew coming into the movies that not everything was going to be the same. The question was, how much would be changed?

The answer is, yes, there are some things that Peter Jackson changed that were pretty dumb (at least, according to my dad and I). But there were also some scenes that weren't in the books, but were so much like something that Tolkien would write, it didn't matter. And then, of course, there are plenty of the good 'ole scenes that us fans have laughed and cried over. Peter Jackson is brilliant at adding humour that is very much Tolkien-style, and keeping the old humour, as well.

All in all, I think the movie was very enjoyable. I didn't like The Hobbit as much as I enjoyed the Rings trilogy, but it was still pretty good. Reading the book, I always regarded Bilbo as that odd little hobbit, who goes on an adventure with dwarves...but that still doesn't stop him from making squeaking noises and making a nuisance of himself at times. After watching the movie...let's just say I understand Bilbo a lot more. *wink wink*

If you like humour, adventure, fantasy, tear-jerking moments, or perhaps all of them combined, I definitely recommend The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to you.

I would not recommend this movie to anyone under 13. The PG-13 rating is not there for nothing, the same as The Lord of the Rings. I have met several people who have told me that no, they don't like The Lord of the Rings because they watched the movie when they were six or seven and were very scared by it. There's no point in ruining a wonderful movie for oneself just because you think you can watch a violent movie when you are young.

Alyianna's rating: 8 out 10 (because of the things changed I didn't like)


An In-depth Analysis of The Hobbit


Spoiler-ish comment: 
(Oh, and by the way, the whole thing of Frodo always calling Bilbo "uncle" is really starting to get on my nerves.)

3 comments:

James The Movie Reviewer said...

Since I avoided reading the book, I loved the movie! Not near as much as The Lord of the Rings obviously, but I would still give it a 10/10! This was my second favorite movie of the year after The Avengers. :D Great review, going to read your in-depth one later.
Also, I did watch LOTR in theaters when I was eight and LOVED it! That's one of the reasons why its still one of my favorite movies today.

-James

James The Movie Reviewer said...

Since I avoided reading the book, I loved the Hobbit! :D While I agree it was not near as great as LOTR, I would still give it a 10/10. It was my second favorite movie of the year, after The Avengers. Can't wait for the extended edition of the Hobbit. Also, I actually did watch LOTR when I was eight and that is why I love it so much today. :)
Great review though, I'm going to check out your in-depth review now. :)

-James

Alyianna said...

That's great! :D I know that you do like action movies with fighting and all that stuff, so it's more for us gentle people that I was thinking about. ;) xD

I had to wait to watch LOTR until I was 13, and it was hard waiting, but it was very much worth the wait. There's some advice for all of you under 13s there. :)