Monday, May 6, 2013

Christ the King, Lord of History - a Textbook Review


Here is my first book review that deals with a textbook. However, if you like history like me, this textbook will be more like a historical novel than a textbook.




This textbook by Anne W. Carroll is amazing. Not only is it hard to find a textbook that gives the story of history from a Catholic perspective, but to find a textbook where history is told in such an interesting way? That's not so easy to find. I know that history isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I believe that any student can enjoy history if it is told in an interesting way.

Mrs. Carroll covers history from Abraham to John Paul II. The rise and fall of civilizations is told of. We learn about the heroes and heroines of history, and the reader learns to love each one of them and the battles that they won. In fact, I loved reading about one event so much that I am now researching more about it to perhaps write a historical fiction book on it someday. I like how events are told in a much different way than we usually hear of. After reading this book, one can learn that how they thought something happened in history by being taught so by the media was not how it actually happened.

One thing that should be mentioned is the pro-American part of the book. As the author is American, the pro-Americanism does creep into the book from time to time. However, we don't get a whole lot of that as the history of Europe is focused on mainly as this book traces the history of the Catholic Church and events important to and surrounding this institution.

Each chapter ends with with some questions, as well as some cultural and historical activities to help make the learning process even more fun. However, if you are going to use this textbook as a learning tool, I greatly recommend the workbook, which not only goes over the material in more depth, but it also comes with an answer key. ;)

Alyianna's rating: 9.8 out 10

2 comments:

Helen said...

I used the book last year, and even though I hated it at the time, I thought it was a really good book compared to what I am doing now. I would definitely recommend it. :D

Alyianna Baggins said...

I just finished doing this textbook for the second time for a project (the first time was a couple of years ago), and I still love it. :)

What book are you doing now?