Monday, May 27, 2013

In the Reign of Terror - a Book Review


Harry Sandwith, an English boy, is sent to France to be a companion for the sons of a father's friend. Harry settles in his new home and learns the way of French people. But things are stirring in Paris as the people begin to shout for freedom, stirred on by the likes of Danton and Robespierre. Then the Marquis and his wife are arrested, and Harry is put in charge of the Marquis' three daughters.

G. A. Henty has been described as a master of historical fiction. After reading my first Henty book, I have to agree with this statement. The detail put into the book isn't forced, it's just there - but it makes the story feel so real.

I wasn't impressed by the beginning, but the more I got into the book, the more I liked it. There was never a dull moment (except for the beginning, when the story was beginning, of course). So, yes, the book obviously had a lot of action because it is placed in France's Reign of Terror, a time of much change in France.

The main character, Harry, is admirable. He has a good head on his shoulders and is someone I wouldn't feel ashamed of depending on. All of the other characters are well-developed and distinct from one another.

The book would be appropriate for children, but I think an older person would appreciate it more because of the small touch of romance near the end. In my case, I appreciate that part of the plot as it was very sweet...but for those people who don't care for it, it is a minor part of the book.

I recommend this book very highly. I, for one, am planning to read it again at least once.

Alyianna's rating: 9.8 out of 10


Link to my review on Amazon - why don't you go over there and rate it as helpful? ;) http://www.amazon.com/review/R309PO846ZVLWY/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0084FANXC&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

No comments: