Thursday, January 2, 2014

Ringing in the New Year 2014 ~ My To-Do List

Books I Would Like to Read This Year
- The House of Hades by Rick Riordan: I'm really looking forward to reading this one as soon as I can buy it.
- David Copperfield by Charles Dickens: I just started reading this book two days ago.
- Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens: I've always wanted to read this one.
- Persuasion and/or Emma by Jane Austen: These two seem to be the top next Jane Austen books I haven't read yet.
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: I tried to read this book several years ago, but I couldn't finish it. I'd like to be able to do that.
- Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell: This has been a big one on my mind for a while now.
- at least one other book by or related to Tolkien that I haven't read yet
- To Kill A Mockingbird: I read this one in grade 10 (I believe) and I loved it, so I would like to read it again.
- Lord of the Flies: The name is so close to my favourite LOTR that this book has always intrigued me (yes, I know the story is nothing like Tolkien's classic).
- The Lord of the Rings: I missed my annual reading last year. (Oh, horrors!)
- Sherlock Holmes: Another one I've never gotten around to all these years.
- Father Brown: And another.

Movies I Would Like to Watch This Year
- The Book Thief: Really want to watch this one.
- Saving Mr. Banks: And this one.
- Turbo, Monsters University, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, and Frozen: Might as well, right?
- The Princess Pride: Last time I watched it, I was probably around eight or nine. A crying shame, really.
- Pride and Prejudice: You know, the movie that everyone talks about whenever they talk about a dramatization of Jane Austen's beloved book - but I am prepared to be disappointed after the amazing work BBC did on it.
- Paddington and The Hobbit: There and Back Again
- Indiana Jones and James Bond: I always feel so uncultured for never having watched one of these
- Schindler's List, Forrest Gump, Star Wars, E.T., Singing in the Rain, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Braveheart, The Grapes of Wrath, Jurassic Park, Wuthering Heights, White Christmas: All these well known films that I kick myself for having never watched.

TV Shows I Would Like to Watch This Year
- the rest of Doctor Who until I'm up to date...and I also want to go back and watch the classics
- Downtown Abbey
- Merlin because all these people who love BBC's Doctor Who and Sherlock seem to love it so much

14 comments:

thomasnotdidymus said...

Have you watched Star Wars and Indiana Jones yet?
(PS, I found this post by searching for "star wars")

Alyianna Baggins said...

I haven't yet, no. Do you like them?

Actually, I forgot I had this list... something to add to the huge ongoing list I have of things to read/watch.

thomasnotdidymus said...

STAR WARS - I enjoy them, but growing up with them probably helps. Back in the day, they completely revolutionized special effects, so they're essentially the most influential movies of all time. The original trilogy from the 70's/80's consists of episodes IV, V, and VI. Episodes I, II, and III were made later, but they're horrendously acted and written. It's not that the original trilogy is flawless, but it's much more watchable than the new trilogy. I'll review the originals myself eventually.

INDIANA JONES - Last time I watched the first one, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (dealing with the Ark of the Covenant), it felt a little bit slow and dull (probably due to how many times I've seen it), but still entertaining.
Whenever my family has Indiana Jones marathons, we always skip the second one, INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM; it deals with a pagan cult and, well, it is very dark and unsettling.
The third one, INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, is the funniest and most heartfelt out of all of them. It deals with Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) searching for the Holy Grail and reconnecting with his father, who's played by Sean Connery; he and Harrison Ford work perfectly together.
The most recent one, INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL, was released nearly twenty years after the third one, and if I could call it anything, I would call it INDIANA JONES AND THE QUEST FOR THE CASH COW.

Alyianna Baggins said...

Hmm...they do sound interesting. It seems everyone thinks the new Star Wars are horrible.

thomasnotdidymus said...

Thankfully, J.J. Abrams is in charge of the upcoming episode VII, and it's being written by one of the writers of the original trilogy, as opposed to George Lucas.

Alyianna Baggins said...

Oh, so HE'S the one who did the bad ones? :)

thomasnotdidymus said...

He also single-handedly wrote and directed Episode IV, which was made as a homage to sci-fi B-movies. Others directed episodes V and VI, and George Lucas also had co-writers. He decided to single-handedly write and direct the entire prequel trilogy, trying to turn them into super-serious stories, but all that proved was that he can't write and direct anything better than a B-movie.

Alyianna Baggins said...

Ah, okay. What type of rating is B?

thomasnotdidymus said...

B-movies: Movies with low production values that are really cheesy and usually have a ridiculous premise. I.E., Sharknado

Alyianna Baggins said...

Ahhh I see!

thomasnotdidymus said...

Are you eventually going to review any of the Marvel movies?

Alyianna Baggins said...

I haven't watched any of them yet, but they definitely are on my to-watch list. Near the top, but it's a long list.

thomasnotdidymus said...

There's ten of them so far (with two not out on DVD yet, including one currently in theaters), so it looks like it's time to get started.

Alyianna Baggins said...

Oh, it will definitely take me a while to catch up. Kind of like the ten-season TV shows I have on my to-watch list.