Tuesday, February 11, 2014

LOTRO ~ A Game Review

I've been playing LOTRO on and off for a while now. I'm not a huge gaming person, but I really enjoy this online computer game. There are a lot of activities with new quests and places to go, even with a free account. The game recreates the locations from Middle Earth beautifully and incorporates characters from Tolkien's works.


Types of Accounts
With a free account, you get two characters, but I can only handle one so it's more than enough (at least for me). You can choose from four races (hobbit, elf, man, and dwarf), but there are several classes to choose from that each have their own special abilities. For example, I'm a hobbit burglar and I have a couple of neat skills with which I can go invisible, stab enemies quickly and efficiently, and burgle people (well, I haven't figured out how to work that one yet). A free account has the same number of levels as the types of paid classes (VIP & premium). You can read about the differences between the three different types of accounts here.



Getting Extra Stuff
Through quests, you can gain turbine points, which can be used to buy clothing, steeds, locations, and more. There's a ton of free stuff you can get just by logging onto the game (you download it to your computer - I have had no problems with viruses or anything with that) daily and completing quests, though I usually find the daily stuff to be a little more than useless. However, some neat stuff will pop up from time to time, like a whistle that can be used to summon a horse for 24 hours.


Expansions
There are some expansion packs that sound pretty neat, but I don't have any of them so I can't review them at this particular time, sorry.



Positive Points
With all the free items and endless quests (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but that's how it seems to a newbie like me), there is always something interesting to do in the game; it really doesn't ever get boring. The communities of people can make you feel at home; joining a kinship can be great in that the people in your group will give you helpful advice and awesome free stuff. In addition to all the quests, you can also do what is called crafting. The ones that I know off the top of my head are farmer, tailor, cook, jeweller, and forester. It may sound lame, but it's actually a lot of fun and I usually end up spending most of my time on LOTRO in a little corner by myself making pies or farming apples to gain XP.


Negative Points
I haven't really had too many problems with this game besides that the game takes a long time to load when it has updates. However, my younger sister has had a couple of times when the game froze (but, then, she's using an old Windows computer and I have a new Macbook).



Alyianna's rating: 9 out 10

I thought I would end with some images of LOTRO. :)

Rivendell

the Shire

2 comments:

James The Movie Reviewer said...

Good review. :) I played the game briefly, but then got a different computer and never downloaded the game again, but the little I played was fun. I do enjoy MMOs in general though, they can be a lot of fun!

-James

Anonymous said...

Haven't played it seems fun. Try playing SWTOR( Star wars the old republic) it is awesome. Very tricky against one boss. LOTRO seems like fun.