Friday, June 27, 2014

My Favourite Companions/Guides: Doctor Who {Day One}




Doctor Who Character Encyclopedia - This guide features characters that appear throughout the fifty years of Doctor Who - from Time Lords and companions to monsters and villains. This book was published before the 2013 Christmas special, so it is missing some information regarding the Eleventh Doctor. I have only watched the newest seasons (the Ninth to Eleventh Doctors), but I enjoyed reading about the characters from the classics, as well.







The Doctor: His Lives and Times - I've only read the last fourth of this book because I didn't want to spoil the classic episodes for myself, but I was delighted with the section of this book that I did read. In order to tell the stories of each Doctor, the section on each Doctor features his story told by the point of view of a minor character - such as the diary entries of the Doctor's granddaughter Susan or an interview with Rose's mother Jackie - in addition to news clippings and photographs. Then, to complete the section, there are a couple of pages of quotes regarding casting and filming.












Who is the Doctor: The Unofficial Guide to Doctor Who: The New Series - I feel like I'm cheating with this one because I haven't actually read the book. However, I think this is a really neat book because it gives a summary of each episode from the Ninth to Eleventh Doctors. A TV guide, you might say. :)













New Series Adventure novellas - I've only read one of these books (you can see my review here), but I really enjoyed the one I read and I'm planning on trying to read as many of the books in this series as I can. By the way, I haven't read the book that I chose to represent this series - I just liked the cover. :) I want to read this one...and this one...and...

2 comments:

James The Movie Reviewer said...

I haven't read any of these, but I will have to look into them! Great rundown of the different ones.

-James

Alyianna Baggins said...

Thank you, James. :) I'd like to hear your thoughts on these books once you have read them.