Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sarai ~ book review


Sarai, the last child of her aged father, is beautiful, spoiled, and used to getting her own way. Even as a young girl, she is aware of the way men look at her, including her half brother Abram. When Abram finally requests Sarai's hand, she asks one thing--that he promise never to take another wife as long as she lives. Even her father thinks the demand is restrictive and agrees to the union only if Sarai makes a promise in return--to give Abram a son and heir. Certain she can easily do that, Sarai agrees. 


But as the years stretch on and Sarai's womb remains empty, she becomes desperate to fulfill her end of the bargain--lest Abram decide that he will not fulfill his. To what lengths will Sarai go in her quest to bear a son? And how long will Abram's patience last? 



After reading the summary on the back of this book, I wasn't sure whether I was going to like it or not. However, I decided to try it anyway because I've loved every other book recommended on Charity's blog. While I haven't liked it quite as much as those other books (such as When the Smoke Clears and With Every Letter), I still enjoyed this retelling of Sarah and Abraham's story. I appreciated Sarah's doubt, attesting to her humanity... although I did get a little annoyed with her at times. I also liked that Abraham even had his doubts (come on, the Bible stories made me wonder about him because NO ONE can be that good and faithful). I was a little disappointed that the book didn't quite finish their entire story, but I guess that was done to leave it on a good note. I also liked that there the reader sees the points of view of other characters, such as Lot, his wife Milcah, and Sarai's maid Hagar.

Alyianna's Rating: 8 out 10
(I'm not sure whether I'm going to try the other books of this series or not.)

No comments: