Friday, September 12, 2014

Robot of Sherwood ~ a Doctor Who episode review

"Robot of Sherwood" - Clara dearly wants to go back in time to meet her hero, Robin Hood. The Doctor doesn't believe that Robin could really exist - or could he?




I was hoping that Saturday's episode would be better than the last - and it definitely was! While it wasn't as good as some of my favourites, "Robots of Sherwood" is undoubtedly the best episode in series 8 so far (can Mark Gatiss please replace Moffat now?). According to my dad, it was also the first episode in this series that the Doctor and Clara were actually in character. (I'm not good at noticing that type of thing, but I thought it was a good thought.)

What made this episode so good? For one, it was pure fun. I probably haven't laughed so hard at a Doctor Who episode since "Partners in Crime" (Series 4).


Sheriff [of Nottingham]: I’ll have you boiled in oil at the castle by sunset.

Robin: Can we make it a little earlier, because that’s a little past my bedtime.


Robin introducing Clara to his
Merry Men
For another, while the plot is borrowed from an old idea of the show (travelling back in time to meet a companion's favourite historical figure), it is done in a fresh and new way. One of the things that really irked me about "Into the Dalek" was that there were so many things that felt as if they were copied from previous Doctor Who episodes. This episode could easily stand on its own, spoon and all.

I thought the tie-in with the Half-Faced Man was really genius. I suppose I should have expected it (being a part of the season arch), but when it was revealed that the space ship's destination was the Promised Land, I definitely sat up a little straighter in my seat.


Doctor: I’m still having a little trouble believing your [story], I’m afraid.

Robin: Why is it so hard to credit? That a man born into wealth and privilege should find the plight of the oppressed and weak too much to bear? .... Until one night he is moved to steal a TARDIS and fly among the stars fighting the good fight.


The Doctor & Robin Hood


However, what I really loved was the story arch dealing with the myth of the Doctor compared to that of Robin Hood - especially, the ending, which was quite lovely and will be dear to anyone who loves the Doctor and wonders whether he truly is a good man.




Alyianna's rating: 9 out of 10





Robin: You are her hero, I think.

Doctor: I’m not a hero.

Robin: Well neither am I, but if we both keep pretending to be … ha ha … perhaps others will be heroes in our name. Perhaps we will both be stories, and may those stories never end.

2 comments:

James The Movie Reviewer said...

You enjoyed the episode for a lot of the same reasons I did! It was so much fun, and the dialogue exchange between Robin, The Doctor, and Clara was a lot of fun! I hope the series continues to improve in future episodes!

-James

Alyianna Baggins said...

Me, too! The next episode could potentially really good... or potentially really bad. We'll have to see. :)