Wednesday, November 5, 2014

TV Shows of 2014 - How They're Going So Far

Doctor Who (Series 8)
I've been disappointed with this season so far. Peter Capaldi is a great Twelfth Doctor, and I like how Moffat has changed his style for this new era, but most of the episodes have been pretty weak. However, the first part of the finale on Saturday was very good. The best episodes of this season so far, in my opinion, are "Deep Breath" (S8E1), "Kill the Moon" (S8E7), "Mummy on the Orient Express" (S8E8), "In the Forest of the Night" (S8E10), and "Dark Water" (S8E11). (Appropriate for kids)

Genre: science fiction
Alyianna's rating: 8 out of 10


Downton Abbey (Series 5)
Downton Abbey is keeping up its drama with no sign of stopping. Every episode is just great - I don't have any complaints here. The cinematography, character portrayal, and plot are just as astounding as ever. Sometimes, same old is just the way a TV show should stay. (*cough cough* Doctor Who *cough cough*)

Genre: period drama
Alyianna's rating: 10 out of 10


Once Upon a Time (Season 4)
Unlike Downton Abbey, Once Upon a Time has started to run a little dry. The amazing character development of Regina and Rumpelstiltskin has seemed to have been discarded. The Frozen add-ons have been interesting, but aren't played as well as they could be. While the Snow Queen is really good, Anna is a touch annoying. There's also altogether too much focus on Emma. I really appreciate that Sunday's episode gave some backstory to Belle, but I feel that the directors shied away from the question of the knife and Rumple's trustworthiness all too quickly. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon, though I feel it should have been touched long before now. "Breaking Glass" has been the best episode of this season so far. (Appropriate for kids)

Genre: fantasy
Alyianna's rating: 7 out of 10


Selfie (Season 1)
My reaction to the trailer was "how did Karen Gillan fall so low after Doctor Who?" However, I've been pleasantly surprised by the show so far. There's been some good lessons regarding friendship and avoiding the Internet. The last episode, "Nugget of Wisdom", in which Eliza (played by Karen Gillan) babysits a friend's son, was a scream. Very funny, very good. Not for kids, though. (1 warning flag)

Genre: comedy
Alyianna's rating: 9 out of 10

4 comments:

Jamie said...

You have a blog!! I'm now following with Bloglovin'! :)

~Jamie

Alyianna Baggins said...

Thank you so much! :)

Tom said...

Hello! I was formerly known as Thomas Not Didymus who found your DOCTOR WHO season 7 review a few months ago. It's nice to find another young adult Catholic who writes media reviews.
DOCTOR WHO - After the anti-Catholic "Day of the Doctor," I haven't returned to the series since.
DOWNTON ABBEY - I've never gotten into it, but I have a few folks who like it.
ONCE UPON A TIME - I enjoyed the series for a while. It started getting really weird in the second half of season three, but the season four opener killed it for me.
SELFIE - Sitcoms usually come with a lot of raunch, so I didn't watch it. I like Karen Gillan, but she's not in anything that I'm interested in except GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY where she plays a blue-skinned alien cyborg assassin, and she does a good job at it.

Alyianna Baggins said...

Hi Thomas! Good to hear from you again. :)

Doctor Who had a few good episodes in series 8... but mostly, it was a massive disappointment. Downton Abbey is great... it's the only TV show that I'm up to date with that hasn't disappointed me so far. Selfie did have some raunch, but it wasn't too bad. But then, it did get cancelled after I wrote this post.